Getting help FAQs

Do I need professional help?

Whether or not you need help can only be decided by you and a trained mental health professional. To determine if you need to seek help, you can ask yourself these questions:

  • Do you feel sad or depressed most of the time?
  • Do you feel anxious or have distressing thoughts almost all the time?
  • Do you have trouble working or meeting your daily responsibilities?
  • Do you have problems in your relationships, or trouble taking care of your family?
  • Have you increased your use of alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications, or are you using them to cope with your problems?
  • Are you angry most of the time?
  • Do other people say they worry about you and think you should talk to someone?
  • Are you having trouble sleeping most of the time?
  • Are you having trouble eating, or have you gained or lost a lot of weight without trying?
  • Are you thinking about committing suicide, hurting, or killing someone else?

If you said yes to this last one, please call 000 or go immediately to the nearest hospital emergency department.

If you said yes to any of the others, you would probably benefit from talking with a mental health professional. If you are an ex-serving member, see your GP or call the Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS), 24 hours a day on 1800 011 046. If you are a current serving member, contact your Garrison Health Service 24 hours a day on 1800 467 425. You don’t have to wait for an emergency to speak to someone.

Why do people usually seek professional help?

Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Talking to a professional about mental health and wellbeing concerns will help you to help yourself.

Getting this sort of support will help you to feel better within yourself, and just as importantly help you feel more relaxed about connecting with people in your daily life, pursuing your goals, and focusing on your future. Your GP is generally the best place to start. Current ADF personnel can self-refer to their local Defence health services, or Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service.

Will it really work?

Scientific evidence shows that many types of therapy and medications are effective. Within the Defence and DVA health care systems, many mental health providers are trained in providing these evidence based treatments. It may be hard to imagine now, but you can work through and recover from mental health problems.

Worried that counsellors won’t be able to help you or won’t understand what you’ve been through? You may be surprised to find out that they can help, and will work hard to understand you and your experiences. Counsellors are highly trained mental health providers. Some, like VVCS counsellors, specialise in working with military personnel and veterans.

If you have a few sessions with a counsellor and you don't think it's going well, you can talk to the counsellor or your GP about what you want changed or you can ask for a different counsellor. Counsellors are focused on your recovery and will help you get the care you need.

What about practical things like making appointments, costs and transport?

When thinking about professional counselling, many people worry about practical things that might keep them from getting help. Concerns about how to find a counsellor, the cost of treatment, getting time off from work, and transport to appointments are very common.

Finding a counsellor

A good place to start is to ask your GP for a referral. If you are a veteran or the partner of a veteran, you can also call VVCS 24 hours a day on 1800 011 046 to find a local mental health provider with experience working with veterans. If you are an ADF member your closest Garrison Health Service can assist you with referral to a mental health practitioner.


You may be able to access mental health care at no cost. For serving Defence members, free access to treatment and support is available via Garrison Health Services, and via referral to VVCS. For eligible ex-serving members, DVA pays for treatment. Access to individual and group based treatment at no cost for you and your family may also be available through VVCS; call them 24 hours a day on 1800 011 046. Alternatively, opportunities to access subsidised counselling under the Medicare system can be discussed with your GP.

Time off from work

If you need flexible appointments so you do not miss work, look for a counsellor that will work with your schedule. You need to find a good time where you won't feel rushed. Most employers will understand and help you take care of your health, whether it’s physical or emotional. Often, people work out a flexible schedule with their boss to free up time for their appointment.


Some people have problems getting to and from appointments. Ex-serving members may be eligible to access transport assistance through DVA. If this is not available to you, public transport may be an option or getting a lift with someone. Maybe you could arrange to borrow a vehicle. Consider all your options. You might be surprised at how many people will take the time to help you get to an appointment.

What does it say about me if I ask for help?

Remember: no one is alone in this world. People are here to help. Perhaps you believe that you should be able to handle your problems without help from others. But people who let others help them are able to cope better than those who choose not to. Trying to cope on your own often makes things harder than needed. It can also add loneliness and isolation to your problems.

You may think that needing help means that you're not normal. You may also believe that seeking help means that you are not fit to do normal things. Remember, it is not unusual to have problems. Many people report some type of concern about their mental health after stressful experiences.

Don’t feel guilty about taking time to get yourself well. You will be better able to live a fulfilling life if you are feeling better.

Talking about your experiences helps you feel more in control. Getting the support you need to live your life more fully shows strength, self-respect and courage.

What if I'm embarrassed about seeking help?

You don’t have to tell people that you’re working with a counsellor. You can just say you have an appointment and that it’s personal.

Try not to be upset with friends or family who worry about you. Take it as a sign that they care and want the best for you and are probably looking for ways to help.

You may think that people will make fun of you for getting help, because at one point you may have overheard someone making fun of someone in your situation. But you’ll soon find out that this usually isn’t true. Many men and women who served in the military have reported some concern about their mental health.

Expecting embarrassment and shame for asking for help is one of the main reasons why people don't seek help. You might ask yourself the following question: Is it more important for me to worry about what someone else thinks of me? Or, is it important to get the help I need to move on with my life?

Who can help me?

As you think about getting care, know that there are many experts to help you. In this section, you can read about the roles and duties of GPs, psychologists, psychiatrists, mental health social workers, mental health occupational therapists, and pastoral counsellors or chaplains.

What does a general practitioner do?

A general practitioner is also called a GP. A GP is a medical doctor with a degree to diagnose and treat common medical and psychological problems. A GP may prescribe medicine to help with psychological problems. GPs are a good first contact to help you find the services you need. They can refer you to an expert like a psychologist, psychiatrist or mental health social worker, who can help you better address your problems. You can find a GP in the Defence and Department of Veterans’ Affairs health care systems, through recommendations from people you know, or via a referral from another health provider. If you need medical attention, a prescription, or a referral to a specialist, then your GP is the best place to start.

What does a psychiatrist do?

Psychiatrists are medical doctors who treat a variety of mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, PTSD, substance use problems, and severe mental illnesses. Psychiatrists primarily treat patients with medications that can help with symptoms of mental illness and other related problems (like sleep). Some psychiatrists also provide counselling. Psychiatrists work in the community and within the Defence and Department of Veterans’ Affairs health care systems. You can find a psychiatrist through advice from people you know, or via a mental health provider, but it is important to get a referral from your GP.

What does a psychologist do?

Psychologists work with clients who have serious mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, PTSD, and substance use problems. Psychologists work with singles, couples, families and groups. They have the ability to assess, diagnose and treat complex problems relating to mental health. Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medicine. Their role is to provide assessment and counselling. There are psychologists in the community and working throughout Defence and Department of Veterans’ Affairs health care systems. You can find a psychologist through advice from people you know, referrals from a GP, or from another mental health provider. The Australian Psychological Society also provides a ‘find a psychologist’ service. You can also find a link to this service in the find professional care section of this website. Eligible serving members and ex-serving members may also be able to find a psychologist through VVCS.

What does a mental health social worker do?

Mental health social workers assist people who are struggling with mental health conditions, and family and relationship difficulties. Mental health social workers are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medications. In Australia, mental health social workers are recognised for their ability to provide mental health services under Medicare. You can find a mental health social worker through advice from people you know or referrals from a GP or another mental health provider. The Australian Association of Social Workers also provides a ‘find social worker’ service. You also can find a link to this service in the find professional care section of this website. Eligible serving and ex-serving members may also be able to find a mental health social worker through VVCS.

What does a mental health occupational therapist do?

Mental health occupational therapists specialise in assessing how an individual's mental health problem affects their ability to function in their everyday occupations and roles. They work together with their clients to develop and achieve personal goals, including those relating to the work, leisure and social aspects of people's lives. A mental health occupational therapist can help you to develop skills to live more independently, including assistance with developing hobbies and interests, returning to work and linking in with community groups and agencies. You can find a mental health occupational therapist through advice from people you know or referrals from a GP or another mental health provider. Occupational Therapy Australia also provides a ‘find an OT’ service. You also can find a link to this service in the find professional care section of this website. Eligible serving and ex-serving members may also be able to find a mental health occupational therapist through VVCS.

Where can I find professional care near me?

Go to the find professional care to find web links to resources for counselling and support. Some of the resources are organisations and networks, like the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and VVCS, and there are community care options as well.