Summary of DVA services & resources

Providers can refer DVA clients to a range of veteran-specific services and resources. To find out more about the mental health resources you can recommend to your veteran patient, including to which disorder the resources are most applicable,click here.

Veterans, inpatient and rehabilitation services

Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling (formerly VVCS)

Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling (formerly VVCS) provides free and confidential, nation-wide counselling and support for veterans and their families. Open Arms specialises in providing counselling and support for war and service-related mental health conditions (such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, substance use and suicide), as well as relationship and family counselling, and group based treatment and support options. Open Arms has offices in state capitals and some regional centres, but also provides an accessible service via its Outreach Counselling Program and Video Counselling. Open Arms  can advise about relevant community and inpatient (hospital) treatment and support options, as well as accessing psychiatry services. Call Open Arms on 1800 011 046 24 hours-a-day.

Veteran’s Line

Veterans and their family members can access counselling and support 24 hours a day via Veterans Line, the after-hours crisis counselling service provided by the Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling (formerly VVCS):  1800 011 046

Inpatient and rehabilitation services

If hospitalisation is required for non-emergency situations, there are veteran specific mental health inpatient treatment programs. To find out their locations call DVA on 133 254 or 1800 555 254 or visit At Ease. It is recommended that all providers consider concurrent psychosocial and/or vocational rehabilitation services early on in treatment. DVA can offer extensive rehabilitation services for entitled veterans.

General mental health providers

Several mental health peak bodies provide an online facility that allows users to find an accredited specialist near them.

The Australian Psychological Society provides a Find a Psychologist website.

The Australian Association of Social Workers allows users to find a mental health trained social worker.

Occupational Therapy Australia also allows users to locate an accredited mental health occupational therapist.

The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists website has a link that helps users find a psychiatrist.

Alcohol and substance use providers

DVA community-based AOD services panel

  • DVA has established a panel of community-based providers to assist in treating those experiencing alcohol and other substance use disorders. These providers have been assessed against the DVA Core Service Standards for the Provision of AOD services to the Veteran Community.
  • In order to access services through these arrangements, individuals must be eligible for treatment, and referred through either a medical practitioner (for instance, a GP or psychiatrist), the Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS), a hospital discharge planner or other DVA Allied Mental Health provider. For more information including how to access the panel, download the “Alcohol and Other Substance Treatment Services” fact sheet from the DVA factsheet webpage.
  • You can download a list of the current providers on this panel, including their indicative service location and service offerings.

VVCS – Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service provides counselling interventions for alcohol and substance use conditions. VVCS can also provide case management support for veterans and eligible family members to access specialist drug and alcohol treatment services, including pharmacotherapy and inpatient options. Contact VVCS on 1800 011 046.

Other drug and alcohol providers

Access to drug and alcohol specialist referral, information and telephone counselling can be accessed via the following 24 hour state-specific helplines.




South Australia

New South Wales


Northern Territory

Western Australia

Services for families and carers

Family counselling

Relationships Australia offers a broad range of services to individuals, families and communities, including counselling, mediation, and family dispute resolution. Contact local state based Relationships Australia service on 1300 364 277.

Domestic and family violence

  • Relationships Australia provides a range of services to assist those with violence and/or abuse issues in their relationships including family violence programs for perpetrators.
  • 1800RESPECT provides a national telephone and online counselling, information and support service that be contacted 24/7 on 1800 737 732 or online
  • The National Carer Counselling Program (NCCP) provides short-term counselling and emotional and psychological support services for carers.
  • MensLine Australia is a professional telephone and online support, information and referral service,that can be contacted 24 hours a day on 1300 78 99 78.


The national Carers Gateway is also available for carers seeking assistance and services through both a website or by calling 1800 422 737. Carers Australia is the peak body providing national services and advocacy for carers. State based carer organisations can provide support and services to those people engaged in a carer role. The National Carer Counselling Program (NCCP) provides short-term counselling and emotional and psychological support services for carers. Call the NCCP on 1800 242 636.

Other specialist providers


If a veteran patient requires hospitalisation for a mental health condition, there are veteran specific mental health wards and treatment programs. To find out their location, call DVA on 133 254 or 1800 555 254.


Gambling Help provides access to online counselling and face to face specialist services. Contact 24 hours a day on 1800 858 858.


The Australasian Sleep Association hosts a listing of sleep clinics and services across Australia. This website also has a range of information materials for clients and providers.

Defence member services

Defence members

Defence members who wish to access mental health services via Defence should make an appointment to see their medical officer. Defence members can also access the VVCS – Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service to access a mental health service provider (psychologist, or social worker). Eligible Defence members can also self-refer to VVCS. It is important that Defence medical officers are aware that serving members are accessing services from VVCS.

All hours support line

Serving ADF members can contact a Defence-specific counselling service via the All-hours Support Line 1800 628 036. The All-hours Support Line (ASL) is a confidential telephone service for ADF members and their families that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Defence Community Organisation

Defence family members can also call the Defence Community Organisation’s Family Helpline on 1800 624 608, for a range of supports and programs for families and children of Defence members. Visit the Defence Community Organisation website for more information.