Print Share this page
This website on behalf of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs endeavours to make its web content and site navigation as accessible as possible to the widest audience. This includes those users who use assistive technology or accessibility features. By adhering to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.0 guidelines for accessible web design, we acknowledge the diversity of communication methods, available technologies and abilities of web-users in the community.
We are committed to ensuring that our website is accessible to everyone. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the accessibility of this site, please use send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as we are continually striving to improve the experience for all of our visitors.
Accessibility browser settings
Some commonly used browsers require different settings to allow users to make website more viewable. Pointers on how to make viewing websites more pleasant are found at the Media Access Australia (MAA) website - http://mediaaccess.org.au/web/web-browsers . The MAA website has information and links to other websites that provide methods on altering text size, setting defaults for popular browsers and other tools.
Website key accessibility features
Web pages on www.at-ease.dva.gov.au/suicideprevention site includes:
- Breadcrumb trail navigation above the main navigation bar to provide links back to the parent page of the current one selected or back to the site home page.
- A header bar that includes the main navigation,
- A main content area,
- A footer bar.
- All elements of the site can accessible via the keyboard and navigated using the tab key and default access keys.
- All focus areas are highlighted upon keyboard or mouse activation
- All content laid in a logical tab reader order.
- All videos on the website are keyboard assessable.
- All links have appropriate titles included to describe the link text
- All links open in the same window
- All external links will open an alert box to inform users that the link will open a new window. Users can either click ‘ok’ to go ahead or ‘cancel’ to remain on the current web page.
- For links that are downloadable files, the file type is included in the link text.
- Unless they are purely decorative items, all images used on this web site have suitable alt attributes otherwise they are ignored.
- Multiple ways to navigate and find content using the search bar and main navigation menus
- ‘Skip to content’ and ‘Skip to navigation’ functions have been implemented which are activated via the keyboard and appear on the top left hand corner of the web page.
- A site map is provided to users to assist them in finding their way through the website and to provide a way of navigating through the website at a glance.
- All form controls are appropriately and explicitly labelled.
- Forms on this site can be accessed via the keyboard.
- Form validation are implemented at the input field level in along with the form submission.